- Canon XA20 Pro HD Camcorder
- Lens Hood (with Lens Barrier)
- Battery Pack BP-820
- Microphone Holder Unit / Handle Unit
- Wireless Controller WL-D89
- USB Cable IFC-300PCU
- Stereo Video Cable STV-250N
- Mini-HDMI Cable HTC-100/S
- Bundled CD ROMs: -PIXELA Data Import Utility Disc - Photo Applications / Audio Disc
- Canon 1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
The XA20 is a compact, “run-and-gun” HD camcorder with an impressive optical performance from a powerful new Genuine Canon 20x HD Video Lens with a new 8-Blade Circular Aperture, capable of focusing down to just 23.6 inches (60cm). Other features include a 3.5-inch OLED Touch Panel Display with the equivalent of 1.23 million dots of resolution, tiltable electronic viewfinder, multiple HD/SD recording rates – including 24p for a “cinematic” look – together with a choice of industry-standard MP4 (up to 35 Mbps) and AVCHD (up to 28 Mbps) codecs. The high image quality and recording versatility make the XA20 ideal for independent and documentary filmmaking, as well as event videography and educational institutions.
In addition to reducing horizontal and vertical shaking, five-axis SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization eliminates rolling and other artifacts, for sharper images no matter how the camcorder is moved. A new automatic correction circuit can substantially reduce image distortion, thereby producing better-looking videos.
A detachable handle offers increased control functionality, with a built-in microphone holder and XLR-format audio inputs. Infrared shooting with little to zero ambient light offers additional flexibility during, for example, surveillance and wildlife projects; the detachable handle also includes an IR light.
Dual-band, built-in Wi-Fi® technology allows easy FTP file transfer and upload to the internet. And intelligent lithium batteries report remaining power and battery-wear levels in one-minute increments to the camcorder, thereby taking the guesswork out of battery management.
Genuine Canon 20x High Definition Optical Zoom Lens
The XA20 features a Genuine Canon 20x HD Zoom Lens that provides a highly versatile zoom range with 35mm equivalent of 26.8mm–576mm, and a minimum object distance of just 23.6 inches (60cm). The impressive image quality is enhanced by a new 8-Blade Circular Aperture design, which avoids the “starburst” effect of point light sources in non-circular aperture designs. Out of focus areas are smoother, more natural and more appealing. An endless-type focus and zoom control includes user-programmable direction and sensitivity modes. Zoom speed can be set to variable, constant (with 16 levels), Fast, Normal or Slow.
3.5-inch OLED Viewscreen with 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio and EVF
The new 3.5-inch, advanced 1,230,000-dot equivalent Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) display provides vivid colors, high contrast, and dramatically improved responsiveness compared to traditional LCD screens. A wide-view angle (over 80 degrees at all angles) aids in composition versatility, and regular chromaticity adjustments, prompted by the camcorder, ensure correct brightness and faithful color reproduction.
The 0.24-inch tilt-type color electronic viewfinder on the XA20 has approximately 100% field of view, and 1,560,000 dots of resolution help ensure critical focus adjustment, with peaking applied if necessary. A joystick located to the right of the viewfinder, where the thumb rests, enables control of camera settings on the viewscreen without having to use touch panel controls.
Intelligent Optical Image Stabilization System with Powered and Dynamic Modes and Auto On/Off
The XA20 offers an advanced optical image stabilization system suited for reducing image blur in a wide variety of shooting situations. The different image stabilization options can be selected manually, or Intelligent IS can use an automatic detection system to identify the proper stabilization mode for the situation. Featured on the XA20 and new to Canon Professional Camcorders is Dynamic Mode, which provides electronic correction of roll and tilt.
New Dynamic IS
Used for image stabilization at the wide end, Dynamic IS builds on translational (up-down/left-right) stabilization, adding roll axis correction, horizontal roll correction and vertical roll correction for five-axis correction. Image distortion is substantially reduced, even when shooting while in motion.
Macro IS corrects angular and shift-type shake in wide-angle shots.
Used for image stabilization in telephoto shooting, Powered IS corrects for low-frequency camcorder shake.
Full Manual Control
Custom Key and Dial
A Custom Key and Dial feature allows you to assign functions to an easily accessible key and adjust the settings with a control dial. They include:
• Tv/Av: Use the dial to adjust shutter speed (Tv mode) or aperture (Av mode), as needed. In this mode the key has no effect.
• Manual exposure: When manual control is selected, the dial can adjust aperture, shutter speed, or gain. Select items to adjust, such as aperture or other settings, with the key.
• Exposure Lock can be set on or off as can the AGC Limit.
With the Level Marker feature, it’s easy to keep the camcorder level for more accurate framing. The Grid Marker provides a reference grid in your viewfinder. Depending on the background color of your shot, you can choose between two different colors for better viewing contrast.
Gain may be manually set from 0 dB to 24 dB in 1 dB increments. Additionally, Auto Gain Control Limit allows you to set the maximum gain limit for the image sensor’s sensitivity. With this function, brightness and noise can be balanced as required, and image quality can be maximized in low-light situations.
Power zoom is available in Constant and Variable settings in 3 modes: Fast (approx. 1.9–60 seconds), Normal (approx. 2.5–180 seconds) and Slow (approx. 4.0–285 seconds). To provide added control, there are 16 predefined steps in Constant mode.
Ergonomic, Portable Design
Weighing less than three pounds including the detachable handle, battery and lens hood – and less than two pounds without – the XA20 is ideal for high-action shoots when both speed and mobility are essential, and where keeping a low profile is an added benefit. Though small in size, this camcorder sacrifices nothing when it comes to professional functionality. It features a new “seesaw” style zoom lever, manual focus/zoom ring and joystick for easy control, and an electronic viewfinder that can tilt up to 45 degrees for low-angle shooting. It also has five Assign Buttons to help it fit to your operational needs.
Two Phantom-powered XLR Audio Inputs with Manual Gain Control
A stereo microphone is incorporated into the XA20 Professional Camcorder, as are two XLR audio inputs with +48V phantom power. The built-in microphone provides exceptional audio in fast-paced situations while the XLR inputs provide connectivity to external microphones and other professional audio devices. If you choose, the built-in microphone and XLR input can be used simultaneously.
Audio is recorded in 16-bit PCM format at 48 kHz for amazing quality and fidelity. And both the built-in microphone and XLR inputs have the option for automatic or full manual gain control. To prevent variations in the recorded audio level, the dial can also be locked.
The XA20 also includes a 3.5mm headphone terminal with 16 volume settings for accurate audio monitoring.
Ultra-compact Form Factor with Detachable Handle
A detachable handle provides the pro shooter with expanded audio performance and added flexibility. Removing the handle allows the camcorder to be made more compact for convenient storage when travelling. Included on the handle are the following terminals, controls and monitors:
• Two built-in XLR audio input terminals with phantom power
• Accessory shoe (cold)
• External microphone holder
• Manual audio level control
• Zoom control and record start/stop button
• Infrared light
• Tally lamp
High Definition Peaking for Focus Assist
Focus and Exposure Aids
To enhance focusing capability, the XA20 provides Focus Assist. It includes enlargement, which helps in capturing your subject in razor-sharp focus. It works by providing a 2x magnification of your subject, which is automatically cancelled when you start recording. Also included is color peaking, which shows the shooting objectâ€™s focused areas in actual colors.
Assignable Buttons for Custom Shooting
The XA20 is endowed with five assignable buttons so that the camcorder can be tailored to the specific preferences or needs of the user.
Button 1 is preset as AF/MF; it can be set to: Powered IS, BLC Always On, Face Only AF or Video Snapshot
Button 2 is preset as Pre REC; it can be set to: WB Priority, IR Light, Audio Output CH, AF/MF or Rec
Button 3 is preset as Rec Review; it can be set to: Review, Shooting Mode, BLC Always On, White Balance or AGC
Button 4 has no preset; it can be set to: Limit, Focus, Exposure, Audio Scene, Microphone Level or Zoom
Button 5 has no preset; it can be set to: Image Stabilizer, Image Effects or Wi-Fi® Remote
Infrared Shooting Mode for Extreme Low-light Conditions (with built-in IR emitter and diffuser)
The XA20 Professional Camcorder features an Infrared Mode allowing the capture of video in conditions with little to no ambient light. It does so by removing the infrared cutoff filter from the optical path. Its specially designed lens coating allows the infrared light to pass through to the image sensor. Additionally, the detachable handle of the XA20 features an infrared emitter with a diffuser to shoot pleasing infrared imagery even in complete darkness. For nature videographers or law enforcement users, the benefits of a compact, high performance camcorder for shooting in such conditions are obvious. Without the need to add lights, the shooter may remain hidden from subjects. Also, the XA20 gives the option of recording in green or white light mode.
Not only does the XA20 Professional Camcorder provide the professional user with complete control over the image, it also provides complete creative freedom when it comes to inputs and outputs, including:
• HDMI Output (HDMI mini connector, time code can be superimposed)
• Composite Video Output (3.5mm)
• USB Hi-Speed Terminal
• (2) XLR Audio Input (when handle is attached) (See audio section for more details)
• Microphone Input (3.5mm) (See audio section for more details)
• Headphone Jack (3.5mm) (See audio section for more details)
• Remote Control Terminal (compatible with LANC protocol)
• Accessory Shoe (when handle is attached)
Optional Bluetooth Mic with Two-way Intercom-like Capability
The XA20 is compatible with the optional Canon WM-V1 Wireless Microphone. Bluetooth technology allows high-quality audio to be recorded from up to 164 feet away (50m), making it ideal for events, ceremonies, nature recording and other situations that call for unobtrusive sound recording. With earphones attached, the WM-V1 Wireless Microphone can also be used as a two-way intercom, enabling more creative control, such as when discreetly providing an on-camera subject with direction.
Advanced Display Features: Zebra, Color Bars and Test Tone
Either color bars or color bars and test tone can be selected and recorded. The color bars comply with the SMPTE standard. -12 dB, -18 dB or -20 dB can be selected as the test tone.
Enhanced zebra pattern (70% or 100%) indicates ‘blown out’ or high brightness areas to help you set the proper exposure.
The white balance control has six available presets selectable through a variety of day and artificial light conditions (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent H, and Fluorescent), as well as two manual white balance settings. Color temperature may also be manually set from 2,000K to 15,000K in 100K increments for more precise adjustment.
For applications such as storyboarding, continuity and publicity shots, the XA20 offers the ability to capture 1920 x 1080 still images. Photos may be captured to an SD memory card during recording, as well as “frame grabbed” during playback.
Perfect for news crews and live event shooters, the XA20 continuously buffers approximately three seconds of video in memory. When the Record button is pressed, recording begins and the contents of buffer memory are added, so you never miss an important shot.
Intelligent Battery System
The XA20 Professional Camcorder is compatible with Canon’s Intelligent Lithium-ion batteries. These batteries communicate remaining running time (down to the minute) so the user is well informed at all times.
Support for 27 Languages
The XA20 supports the following languages: Czech, Danish, German, Greek, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Hungarian, Malay, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Finnish, Swedish, Turkish, Russian, Ukrainian, Arabic, Farsi, Thai, Chinese (simplified characters), Chinese (traditional characters), Korean and Japanese.
- Standard Definition or High Definition: High Definition
- Power Supply (rated): 7.4 V DC (battery pack), 8.4 V DC (DC IN)
- Television System: NTSC
- Video Recording system: MPEG4-AVC / H.264
- Audio Recording system: Linear PCM (2ch)* / Dolby Digital (5.1ch when SM-V1 is used) * Feature supported only in the 28 Mbps/23.98 Mbps recording mode; resolution: 16 bits
- Image Sensor: 1/2.84-inch CMOS, RGB Primary Color Filter
- Total Pixels: Approx. 3.09 Megapixels (2208 x 1398)
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 2.91 Megapixels (2136 x 1362)
- Zoom Ratio: 20x Optical / 400x Digital
- Focal Length: 3.67-73.4mm (35mm equivalent: 26.8-576mm without Dynamic IS; 28.8-576mm with Dynamic IS)
- Zoom Speed: Variable speed / Constant speed (16 levels); Fast, Normal or Slow
- Max. F/Stop: f/1.8-2.8
- Focusing System: Hybrid AF (TTL-video detection system and external phase difference metering system): Instant AF, Medium AF; Normal AF (TTL-video detection system); Face Priority AF; Face Only AF; Manual Focus
- Manual Exposure: Available
- Programmed AE: Smart Auto, P, Tv, Av, M (Manual exposure), SCN (Portrait, Sports, Night, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks) Cinema Mode: P, Tv, Av, M
- Max Shutter Speed Movie: 1/2000 sec.
Minimum Focusing Distance: 20mm (wide end) / 60cm (across the entire zooming range)
- White Balance: Auto, Set 1, Set 2, Color Temperature (2,000K to 15,000K in 100K increments), Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H
- Frame Rate NTSC:
- AVCHD - 1080: 59.94P / 59.94i / PF29.97 / 23.98P
- MP4 - 1080: 59.94P / 29.97P / 23.98P; 720 and 360: 29.97P / 23.98P
- Minimum Illumination:
- 1.2 lux
- Low Light Mode: Approx. 0.1 lux (shutter speed 1/2 sec.)
- Genlock Terminal: Not available
- HD/SD-SDI Terminal: Not available
- Image Stabilization: Dynamic SuperRange Optical System (Lens shift), Standard SuperRange Optical System (Lens shift), and electronic stabilization Following modes are available: Intelligent IS (AUTO mode), Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Macro IS, Tripod Mode
- IS Modes other than Intelligent IS: Standard IS, IS Off
- Filter Diameter: 58mm
- Viewfinder: 0.24-inch, TFT Widescreen color LCD (Equivalent to approx. 1.56 million dots; approx. 100% field of view)
- LCD Screen: 3.5-inch OLED, Capacitive Touch Panel (Approx. 1.23 million dots)
- Recording Media: 2 SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slots
- USB Terminal: mini-B receptacle and Hi-Speed USB supported (output only)
- Video Terminal: Composite: A/V terminal 3.5mm mini-jack, output only
- Audio Terminal: XLR 3-pin jack (2ch), MIC/LINE switch possible (input only)
- Accessory Shoe: Cold Shoe
- HDMI Terminal: HDMI OUT mini connector
- Microphone: Terminal 3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- AV Mini Terminal/Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm 4-pole mini-jack (video/audio output only)
- Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- Remote Control Terminal: 2.5mm stereo mini jack (input only)
- Operating Temperature range: 23° to 113°F (-5° to 45°C) 60% relative humidity (operation) / 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C) 85% relative humidity (performance)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 4.3 x 3.3 x 7.2 in. / 109 x 84 x 182mm (Not including lens hood, grip belt, microphone holder and handle unit)
- Weight Approx.: 1.7 lb. / 765g (includes grip belt)